Are you as passionate about skincare as we are? If yes, then a career as an esthetician may be the right fit for you. As an esthetician, you’ll provide skincare services and help people achieve their skincare goals.
Being an esthetician is a very rewarding career, especially if you have a love for skincare. Not only will you get to master the craft of skincare, but you’ll also get to help people feel as good as they look – so, how do you become an esthetician?
The first step to becoming an esthetician is to choose the perfect esthetician school and complete the necessary hours and training. Just like any other continued education, you’ll want to pick the perfect school for you. This is a place where you’re going to learn the skills necessary for your career and set you up for success in the future. Choosing the right esthetician school is a big decision, so let’s discuss how to pick the right school for you.
Things to Consider When Picking a School
Before hopping in and researching esthetics schools, there are some things to consider. Each person has different needs when it comes to their education so that’s why we always recommend creating a priority checklist that has everything you want to see in a school. Your list should include things like:
- Flexible Schedules
- Continued Education and Certifications
- Basic and Master Esthetician Courses
- Career Support
This is just an example of some of the things that could be on your list. Your priority list should include everything you want from a school. This makes the researching process much smoother and when it comes down to a decision on where to attend, your list will make the decision easier.
The next step you’ll need to take when choosing the perfect esthetician school is to research. This is a crucial step and can save you a lot of time in the long run. When researching schools, make sure to ask yourself these questions:
- What is their reputation?
- Are they an accredited beauty school?
- Do they have a student spa?
- Do they offer financial aid?
If the answer to all these questions is yes, then you’re off to a great start. You want to find a school that has a good reputation that will set you up for success and help you become a well-rounded esthetician.
Schedule Your Tour
After you’ve finished researching schools, make a list of the ones that you’d like to attend. Before jumping in and applying to these schools, we recommend taking a tour. Every esthetics school should have the option to take a school tour before attending and if they don’t then it’s probably not the school for you.
We always recommend taking a tour to get a better feel for what each school can offer you and to see the culture first-hand. This is your opportunity to meet instructors, students, and get any additional questions you have answered. To get the most out of your esthetics school, you’ll want to go prepared. Here are some tips we recommend when going on a school tour:
- Take Notes: Your tour is a chance for you to get to know the school better. That’s why we always recommend taking good notes. That way you can review them when deciding on where to go next.
- Bring a List of Questions: Again, this is your chance to ask the school questions that will help you make your decision easier. So you don’t forget your questions, bring a list of them already written out.
- Bring a Friend or Family Member: Deciding to go to esthetics school is a big life decision. Change can be scary, that’s why we recommend bringing someone you’re close to for support. It also helps to hear other people’s thoughts when making a big decision like this.
School tours are an exciting part of the process. A tour is a perfect opportunity for you to see what the school is like and experience what it would be like to be a student there. Taking a tour of the school will help you decide what school is best for you.
Esthetics Schools We Recommend
As esthetic career coaches, we understand what makes a good esthetics school. A good school should have a well-rounded curriculum, supportive instructors, and an environment that excites you about your future as an esthetician.
We’ve worked with different schools and have seen their impact on students. When doing your research, be sure to check out these schools:
- Avalon Institute: Avalon Institute is an accredited institute that teaches you the latest beauty trends. They have advanced classes and locations throughout the rocky mountains. Avalon Institute’s programs have one goal: to help students succeed in their education.
- Skinworks School of Advanced Skincare: Skinworks of Advanced Skincare is a school dedicated to helping you become a successful esthetician. They’re located in Utah and have won two awards for Best Specialty School in Salt Lake City. They have a great student spa that gives students real-world experience that can drive them to be gainfully employed once graduated
- Medspa Institute of America: Medspa Institute of America specializes in medspa training and is setting the standard in the skincare industry. You can learn more specialized skills such as laser training, microblading, advanced esthetics, and more.
- Academy of Skin & Beauty: Academy of Skin & Beauty is a new school opening in 2022. They are located in New York State and offer a 600-hour esthetics course along with advanced specialty courses.
- Aveda Institute – Florida: Be Aveda is a family of six beauty schools located throughout Florida. The six campuses make up a brand new Aveda School, known as Be Aveda. They are a well-rounded school that is committed to educating the next generation of beauty professionals.
These are just a few of the great schools you can attend. When choosing your perfect esthetics school, remember to keep your own needs in mind.
When in doubt, remember Maxine Drake has got your back. Whether you are starting as a new esthetician or you’re ready to grow your business, Maxine can help you. Work with coaches who have been where you are and want to help you succeed.